Thursday, November 12, 2009

As one season ends, another begins...

I have some random thoughts for my blog entry for this Thursday... I'll start with a rare two-sport doubleheader. You don't see these much in college athletics, particularly at the same venue, but Niner fans have an even more unusual event, the last home event for one sport and the first regular-season contest for another event.

Friday, Volleyball hosts its last match of the season in Halton Arena at 5 p.m. against Temple. Following that contest, the men's basketball team has its regular season opener later that night against UNC Asheville. Last season, the volleyball team played in front of 1,679 people (a season high), which made the atmosphere very festive. The Niners actually used that crowd to rally and win over the favored Temple squad, who seemed a little overwhelmed by the noise that the loud and proud made to cheer them on. I, for one, enjoyed the atmosphere very much and the coaches mentioned it after the season and have mentioned it to me getting ready for the match this week.

If you come early, you'll get to sit nice and close. I don't know what they are going to do about seating for the men's game (I assume you'll need your tickets unless you are in the student section) but if you want a good seat for the hoops game, students, then this is a rally to get you in the doors a little early. First service will be at 5 p.m.

Other notes (that may only interest me)...

Every team (from year to year) has a different personality, no matter if there's only one or two players that are different from the previous year. This year's men's team is completely different from a year ago. Obviously, having guys back who are healthy makes a difference, but running into the guys in the hallway, there's a different feel and look to some of the same guys that are returning...

I don't look good in a mustache. I hope that Mustache Night works out well. I'm not sure how the Temple volleyball program would react to that...

I have gotten to travel to some college campuses around the Southeast for ESPN this fall to work some football games when volleyball is not playing. I really look forward to the day that this campus is that festive on Saturdays when football gets here. It's an atmosphere that makes you want to be there. And people have been really nice to me, a stranger on their campus (maybe it's because I'm wearing a suit). It should be a lot of fun...

We're taking a bus to Dayton for the conference tournament next week. This will be my third bus trip with a 49ers team to the state of Ohio in three years. Baseball bussed to Xavier in 2007 and then to the conference tournament in Dayton this past May. I'll have to head to the library to stock up on good reading material. One thing that has become a luxury is wireless Internet on the bus. I will probably contribute a trip blog from the bus next week (so you can share in my travel nuggets)...

With all of the rain we've seen on Saturdays this fall, it will be nice to get inside for a few months of hoops. I do not envy the men's soccer team having to play in the conference tournament in Rhode Island this weekend. (Rhode Island - outside - mid-November - yikes!)...

There are so many team members, managers, equipment people, coaches and others in the gym when men's basketball practices, I think we should call them Lutz's army (or playing with the sounds - Lutz' Troops) Someone make a t-shirt, just make sure they credit me on it somewhere (or give me a free one for the idea)...

I am of the opinion that you can tell a program's confidence in itself when you look at its schedule. Take a look at the basketball schedules this year...

Speaking of schedules, a lot of people bash Boise State football for their schedule. They say, "Play somebody!" Well guess what, the teams they are trying to play have to agree to the game too. No good team wants to take the chance of losing to them and shattering their players' confidence or having the coach get fired for the loss. It's a system where the haves can keep the have nots down by refusing to let them in to the party. Were it not for the automatic bids in basketball, it would be in a similar deal. Since the conferences control the TV contracts, no one who is in the position of power wants to share it with the rest of the folks...

I am very critical of announcers (being one myself, and I get criticized a lot too), but Matt Swierad is easy to listen to. I know die hard fans want a homer. I think homers reduce the class of the broadcast and Matt Swierad does not play the role of the homer (no pun intended for his work with the Knights). He's a great alternative when you can't be at the game...

--Ryan Rose
Media Relations Office

No comments:

Post a Comment