Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Maine gets first win in Spring Training for Mets


Former 49er and CUSA Pitcher of the Year, now New York Met, John Maine battled for his first win of Spring Training Tuesday afternoon against the Marlins (9-2)in his final start before heading to the show.

Maine's line..
5.2IP, 6H, 2R/ER, 1BB, 3K, 1HR (yielded to Marlins Cody Ross)
But forget about his work on the bump. Maine helped his own cause at the plate drawing a walk and pushing a run across in the victory. Maine's career stats at the plate...(.093BA, 12H, 6RBI) so I'm trying to not get too excited...

Maine has admitted struggling with mechanics this spring.

"I'm just in the process of working out things," said Maine (in a recent interview with Alden Gonzalez of mlb.com), who finished 10-8 with a 4.18 ERA in 25 starts in 2008. "I'm trying to fix things and get back on the right path. I think the last two starts, it's just gotten better and better. And it's a good time, leading up to the season.
"I still think I'm a couple miles per hour off on my fastball, but that will come just in long toss and things in the bullpen. I feel comfortable right now, and one more outing and I'll be good to go."


Maine is slated to open the season at the 4 spot in the rotation for the Mets behind Johan Santana, Mike Pelfrey and Oliver Perez. His first start will come @ Dolphin Stadium vs. the Marlins on April 11.
...Updates on other Niners in the pros coming soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment